Letter from the CEO
Letter from CEO Dr. Naomi Johnson-Booker
The vision for Global Leadership Academy when it was founded in 2007 from the remnants of another school I was brought in to transform has finally been realized.
GLA truly is a shining beacon for the children of Philadelphia to begin carving out their place in the world.
Through a deliberate and holistic approach, GLA has achieved high levels of success in all areas of its mission of “Preparing Future Leaders of the World” by educating and empowering our scholars to open the gates to explore their own community and beyond.
Today, GLA scholars are among the City of Philadelphia’s highest academic achievers in Grades K-8. GLA also is one of the most sought after public schools, as evidenced by our annual enrollment waiting list averaging more than 1,000 children.
There were setbacks along the way, but the hope and dream never wavered for all those who believed in the vision of GLA.
The common thread that weaves together the reasons families choose GLA is hope. Some hope for its unique education that blends leadership and global communication skills. Others hope for personal safety to be free of the violence and overcrowding that plagues so many city schools. For others, it is smaller classroom sizes and greater individualized student attention.
Most of our scholars live in neighborhoods where they can see Philadelphia’s glorious skyline. However, many of our children will experience Center City for the first time as students of Global Leadership Academy. But that’s just the beginning. GLA opens students’ eyes to the world around them with educational excursions to historic and cultural sites in the city, the state, the country and the world. By the time our scholars complete their GLA journey, they experience and have learned more about the world than most young adults entering college.
We have created an unimaginable confidence in the hearts of our scholars, parents, staff and Board of Trustees as well as many community and business leaders.
As a result, Global Leadership Academy has many accomplishments:
- More than 28,800 volunteer hours from parents and guardians each school year.
- More than 82 percent of classes taught by highly-qualified teachers.
- A 100 percent promotion rate.
- Average annual attendance rate of 95 percent.
- One of the highest academic achievement scores in Philadelphia.
- Accredited by AdvancED in recognition of meeting or exceeding industry standards.
- Member of Schools That Can for high-performing urban schools.
- Sound fiscal management.
- A $14 million construction project for new school completed in 2011.
- Award-winning health, wellness and fitness programs.
- Independence Blue Cross (IBX) Healthy Futures School.
- An accredited and unique global studies curriculum.
- Recognition by the Philadelphia Business Journal as a 2015 Healthiest Employer
It brings me great joy to see young people experiencing the world and learning in the nurturing and supportive environment we worked so hard to create.
GLA looks forward to providing its unique and high-quality education to the children of Philadelphia for many years to come and will be forever grateful to its many partners who helped make it possible.
It is my personal commitment along with the GLA Board of Trustees to continue stand up for children every single day with our foremost goal of nurturing and inspiring each scholar to become the future leaders of the world!
Dr. Naomi Johnson-Booker